MY FAVOURITE LADIES...



Once upon a time I lived with my parents and two younger sisters. What a time it was! And how often do I miss the little things that were once completely insignificant. Like the times me and my sisters would fight over how fast the fan should be or when we would argue over the time the lights should go out. And the times mom would call me a million times in office because it was raining, and the trains would be running late. “I’m a grown up. I can manage to get home alright!”, I thought.

Surely, it all seemed like a big pain in the rear at that time. But looking back at it today, that is the time I have the fondest memories of. Never had I realised that having two sisters to annoy me would be the thing I would miss the most after I got married. Well, when we fought, mom would always say, “Shaadi hogi tab pata chalega, ek dusre ko dekhne tarsoge!” (you will realise when you get married, you will crave to see each other). Of-course then it was like, what the hell are you talking about, I don’t think anything could make me happier, forget craving to see them!

And then it happened, I got married. Yes, I do crave to see both those idiots. Damn, when did all those years go away, and when did we end up growing up so much! I not only miss them immensely but talking to them for hours over the phone is the only thing that gets me through the day sometimes. There were days, once upon a time, when we lived together, and we would be like, “Dude, don’t ask so many questions, give me my privacy!” And now are the days when we can’t share enough. When did we grow up so much?

When we lived together, all we did was fight. But today I realise that at the end of all that fighting, sisters are the true best friends. The true soul mates who have lived through the same ups and downs of life, and who somehow understand each crazy habit. All those internet memes about sisters only begin to seem true when we are miles apart, unable to even fight anymore. Damn I miss the pointless fighting. And the best part was, no matter how much we fought or how serious it got, everything was forgiven at the end of the day. Each new day began with a clean slate. No grudges!

There are times when I feel like I am too proud to admit that all the little life lessons mom would give (which of-course seemed so unnecessary and a waste of time back then) are helping me now. It’s like her voice ringing in my ears when I see something that she had cautioned me about happen around me. There were times I took her for granted, a lot of times actually. And now, even the sound of her voice over the phone seems like the most soothing music to my ears on a tough tough day.

I can not say enough about the magic in her voice. Sure, it would seem so sentimental and emotional, but a mother’s voice, the concern hidden in her strict restrictions, the care hidden in her scolding, the love hidden in each and every of her complaint… these things rarely begin to matter when she is around 24*7, concerning, loving and caring selflessly and endlessly. Because today, sitting miles away from her, looking at her picture, the smile on her lips but the worry on her forehead, I realise that even far away, a mother’s voice, my mother’s voice is like a virtual hug which somehow makes everything okay.

And how can I forget my mother away from home, my grandmother. A woman who was more a friend and confidante than a grandmother. Someone who loved me like her own daughter, being with whom gave me pure joy, a feeling of happiness with no judgements. She taught me many small things, most important of all that there can be a family away from home, because she was mine. Those 5 minutes I spent with her at the end of my super tiring day would somehow completely recharge me. And now that she is gone, life seems a little empty, and I miss her each day, some days more than others. Because she was the woman whose company gave me pure joy. Pure unadulterated joy.


Like what you read? Drop in a comment below to let me know. I post new blogs every Saturday.

Would you like to read poems from my childhood in the next blog??? Drop in a comment to let me know.

Follow me on Instagram at “mi5b4h” for updates about my future posts.

Comments

  1. Very emotional & nice one👍☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have the similar feeling..js got tears..nt far as much as u are..but yes sometimes i feel like "aaj ghar nai jana, aaj mummy k paas chali jaati hu"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making people tear up with my writing feels like a compliment. ☺

      And yea, its different when i am in jamnagar n she is in mumbai 😁

      Delete
  3. Jab beti khud MAA banti hy tab usse apni MAA yaad aati hy K my mother was right

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable thoughts here.

Popular posts from this blog

MANUFACTURING A LIFE…

BEING IN LOVE